Saturday, November 15, 2008

Mobile podcasting with utterli

I spent the morning finding a way to podcast directly from a mobile phone while covering an event. gcast and gabcast worked well enough, but both required that I approve the podcasts through the web, which is just not practical.

I then found utterli which allowed me to preview, re-record and send pictures from my phone while in the field. During a local Proposition 8 Protest, I managed to make about 10 short podcasts (~30 seconds), along with 4 pictures. The only problems I encountered were the speed of my phone's menu & dialing, and my lack of journalism skills (had to re-record a couple of times, and was unable to keep up with the names of speakers).

I especially liked the fact that utterli will automatically combine your podcast with a picture if you send both within a ten-minute time frame. Knowing this allowed me to plan shots and updates. I was lucky enough to get audio and a picture of a rainbow flag being hoisted at a public building:



In addition to the functions I've mentioned, utterli also provides the ability to form groups that facilitate ongoing discussions using the system, and cross-posting, which automatically posts your "utter" to other blogging platforms.

I will definitely be recommending this tool to my students. The fact that they could podcast without having to record, convert and upload through a computer gives me hope that they'll be able to embrace this tool and improve their web presence.

1 comment:

Hal Meeks said...

For longer form content, we have done some testing with PCPRemote, a commercial application for the iPhone. It will publish directly from the iPhone to podcast producer -- which we are currently running and would like people to try out. The application is not free, and there are some issues to work through, but with an external mike plugged into the iPhone the audio quality is quite good.